Monday, June 24, 2013

Week 2: Stellar Stargazers

The 2nd week of June we read Fancy Nancy Stellar Stargazer  and a few other books about space. These are some of the activities we did that week.

We read The Magic School Bus Lost in The Solar System, watched that episode of the show, and explored some of the activities in our Magic School Bus Solar System kit. The girls lined the planets up from biggest to smallest so that we could tell which ones were which. Then we looked up each planet on our poster so they could see what they looked like before painting them.

Our finished solar system! Bug pretended it was a hat like the one Ms. Frizzle wore.

spinning and orbiting around the sun (me)

stargazing at Aunt Michelle's

"ooooh!" The moon is so pretty!

I'm not sure what this face is about.....

....or this one


putting together a puzzle in the space station

We found a big box and made it a rocket. The girls pretended their bike helmets were space helmets. I offered to cover them in paper or tin foil, but they declined. They said that when they go to space, they are going to wear pretty helmets - not the plain ones that the other astronauts wear.

My little astronaut in her spaceship.

counting down

Blast off!

Lunch inside the spaceship = rocket shaped sandwiches

We made astronaut pudding.

bouncing on the moon

playing "the rocket ship game" (Wh Blastoff)

 
 
Unfortunately, our time with our spaceship was cut short. We left it on the porch, and in the morning it was gone! Robert thinks it blew into the street and one of the neighbors threw it away. The girls and I looked all around. We didn't see it sticking out of any one's trashcan. Makenna hypothesized that the moon aliens took it. I don't know, but I could have sworn I heard a loud blast during the the night.....

No comments:

Post a Comment