Friday, January 21, 2011

Tubes

This afternoon Grandma, Kylee, and I took Makenna to OKC to get tubes. Instead of doing it as an outpatient surgery under general anesthesia, Dr. Metcalf did it in his office with ear numbing drops. I was extremely nervous about how Makenna (and I ) would handle it, but it went really well. The procedure took just under 5 minutes. Makenna started crying as soon as the nurse came to get her and continued to cry for a minute or two after the nurse brought her back... until I handed her an Oreo.
I was afraid that since she was awake for the procedure,  it would be traumatizing for her, but I don't think she was traumatized at all. After it was done, she let the audiologist (my friend, Aprill) do ear molds of both her ears while she ate her Oreo. She didn't cry then at all and didn't even cry when Dr. Metcalf stopped in to say "hi".  So, we survived the whole experience with less than 10 minutes of crying from the time we left Lawton to the time we got back!
Here she is happily exploring the waiting room before the procedure:




And here she is less than 3 minutes after - her eyes are still a little glazed from the tears, but she's already a happy girl again.


This is what she looked like by the time we left.


Makenna already had the beginning of another infection. So, I'm glad we went ahead and got the tubes put in this week. She seems to  be feeling and hearing much better already. She's been in a great mood and has been babbling non-stop, playing around with different sounds and pitches since we left the doctor's office!

1 comment:

  1. After seeing her today, it REALLY does seem like she can hear a lot better. I'm not sure if that is good or bad for you! LOL!

    ReplyDelete