Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fine Motor Fun

I've been trying to make a more conscious effort to encourage fine motor activities. Last week we used pipettes to experiment with color mixing.




Once we had a tray full of colors, we used the colored water and  Kylee's science kit to make crystals.


Makenna made sure to get a close look. :)




We've also used the pipettes to paint (with paint) on paper, to paint coffee filters with colored water, and to play with in the bath tub. Kylee loves experimenting with them! Her experiments can get quite interesting. I have to keep to a close eye on my drinks. Anything left in an unattended, open cup will end up very colorful.


The girls love noodles! Whenever we have them, Kylee uses her chimpsticks (chopsticks joined at the top by a rubber chimpanzee). I even let the girls have Ramen noodles (*cringe*) for lunch one day just so Kylee could practice. Makenna has a pair too. She likes to hold them but can't quite manipulate them yet.


Kylee also used her chipmsticks to put sparkly pom poms into a bottle of water.




We added oil and glitter glue (we were out of regular glitter) to make a shimmering discovery bottle.




After the excitement of the discovery bottle died down a bit, Kylee asked if she could see what the glitter glue would look like in milk.


I've recruited Kylee to be my table cleaner. We use all natural, non-toxic cleaner. So, it's safe, and pulling down the trigger on the spray bottle is great fine motor practice.

1 comment:

  1. I want chimpsticks now... like I really needed something else on my want list ;) You're an awesome mom. I wish we did half this stuff!

    ReplyDelete